Saturday, September 24, 2011

Oh No! Shots!!!

Just called Alberta Health link to get information on what kind of shots we need to get before we go to Mexico. The nurse gave me the Canada Center for Disease Control. Not only does this website have information about shots it has lots of other information: MUST READ before we go to Mexico!

  • To have the most benefit, see a health-care provider at least 4–6 weeks before your trip to allow time for your vaccines to take effect and to start taking medicine to prevent malaria, if you need it.
  • Even if you have less than 4 weeks before you leave, you should still see a health-care provider for needed vaccines, anti-malaria drugs and other medications and information about how to protect yourself from illness and injury while traveling. 
  •  Be sure your routine vaccinations are up-to-date...such as for influenza, chickenpox (or varicella), polio, measles/mumps/rubella (MMR), and diphtheria/pertussis/tetanus (DPT)

    • Also: Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Typhoid, Rabies

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    So recently I called a travel clinic and asked some questions about the shots I would have to get to go to Mexico. The lady I talked to was so nice, I swear I called her like 20 times each time with a new question from the answer to the last question. Some of the questions I had were:

    • What kinds of shots do I have to get before going to Mexico? And whats the time table like?
    She responded with:
    1. Hep A: once 6-8 weeks before, then 6 months later, then we don’t have to renew it until 25 yrs later
    2. Miliaria: 6-8 weeks before we leave
    3. Typhoid: 6-8 weeks before we leave, then we don’t have to renew it until 3 yrs later
    4. Rabies

    • How much do the shots Cost?
    She said: the consultation fee ($25) and any were from $150- 250, it depends on which shots the consultant provides. Whew, boy is that a lot of mullah.

    • What if you have blue cross, is their Coverage for travel shots?
    In which she replyed: it depends how much coverage you have … call blue cross.

    I called blue cross, in which I had to call the travel clinic back and get all the shots D.I.N. #’s. (don’t ask what that means cuz I have no idea) then call back and forth and get more info. Finally after all that totally unnecessary work, he told me we had 80% coverage on travel vaccines. HIP, HIP, HOORAY! but still … shots

    • When should I book an appointment?
    2 weeks before the 6-8 weeks required to sink in and take affect

    So now, I am preparing for some pretty miserable weeks in July and June. I'm not looking forward to aching arm syndrome.

    ReplyDelete