Thursday, January 5, 2012

More info about SHOTS!

Hello,
So recently I called a travel clinic and asked some questions about the shots I would have to get to go to Mexico. The lady I talked to was so nice, I swear I called her like 20 times each time with a new question from the answer to the last question. Some of the questions I had were:
What kinds of shots do I have to get before going to Mexico? And whats the time table like?
She responded with:

  • Hep A: once 6-8 weeks before, then 6 months later, then we don’t have to renew it until 25 yrs later
  • Malaria: 6-8 weeks before we leave
  • Typhoid: 6-8 weeks before we leave, then we don’t have to renew it until 3 yrs later
  • Rabies
How much do the shots Cost?

She said: the consultation fee ($25) and any were from $150- 250, it depends on which shots the consultant provides. Whew, boy is that a lot of mullah.

What if you have blue cross, is their Coverage for travel shots?

In which she replyed: it depends how much coverage you have … call blue cross.

I called blue cross, in which I had to call the travel clinic back and get all the shots D.I.N. #’s. (don’t ask what that means cuz I have no idea) then call back and forth and get more info. Finally after all that totally unnecessary work, he told me we had 80% coverage on travel vaccines. HIP, HIP, HOORAY! but still … shots

When should I book an appointment?

2 weeks before the 6-8 weeks required to sink in and take affect.

So now, I am preparing for some pretty miserable weeks in July and June. I'm not looking forward to aching arm syndrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment